FONPLATA is a Develoment Bank made up of five countries: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Paraguay and Uruguay. Its main goal is to support the integration of the member countries to achieve a harmonic and inclusive development, through credit operations and non-reimbursable government resources.
Our headquarters are located in Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia. There are also a liaison offices in Asunción (Paraguay), Buenos Aires (Argentina) and Montevideo (Uruguay).
Loans are granted only to member countries, with the sovereign guarantee of each country involved.
Loan operations are focused on small and medium-sized development programs, averaging US$ 30 million, and aim at the regional integration of the most vulnerable areas, mainly border areas, with particular focus on material, economic and social inequalities.
FONPLATA has a Liaison Agency in each member country. Operations to be funded (pre-investment studies or investment projects.) are programmed together with each Agency on a yearly basis.
Our Liaison Agencies are in charge of prioritizing the operations to be funded in each country and they formally file each request through a Consultation Letter.
- Argentina - Secretaría de Asuntos Estratégicos de la Presidencia de la Nación Argentina (Secretariat for Strategic Affairs of the Presidency of the Argentine Nation) (https://www.argentina.gob.ar/asuntos-estrategicos)
- Bolivia - Viceministerio de Inversión Pública y Financiamiento Externo – Ministerio de Planificación del Desarrollo (Vice Ministry of Public Investment and External Financing - Ministry of Development Planning) (www.vipfe.gob.bo)
- Brazil - Secretaria de Assuntos Econômicos Internacionais – SAIN - Secretaria Especial de Comércio Exterior e Assuntos Internacionais - Ministério da Economia do Brasil (Secretariat for International Economic Affairs - Special Secretariat for Foreign Trade and International Affairs - Ministry of Economy of Brazil) (www.economia.gov.br)
- Paraguay - Dirección de Política de Endeudamiento – Ministerio de Hacienda (Debt Policy Directorate - Ministry of Finance) (www.hacienda.gov.py)
- Uruguay - Dirección General de la Unidad de Coordinación con Organismos Internacionales - Ministerio de Economía y Finanzas (General Directorate of the Unit of Coordination with International Organizations - Ministry of Finance) (www.mef.gub.uy)
Therefore, in order to get information on the criteria and requirements for the funding of a project, you should contact the liaison agency of the country in which the project is to be implemented.
Currently, FONPLATA only finances public sector projects. From the last decision of the Executive Board in 2019, a financing line for non-sovereign risk operations was established. Initially it is intended for development banks, but also includes national and sub-national institutions, public companies or mixed companies, all with mostly public capital.
The beneficiaries of Technical Cooperation may be:
I. Member country governments or any of their subnational or decentralized political divisions and government bodies with legal capacity to enter into contracts with FONPLATA.
II. Regional or subregional integration development organizations to which the members countries belong.
III. Other entities expressly supported by the respective member country through the liaison agencies.
Technical Cooperation shall cover the following areas to benefit one or more member countries:
I. Improvement, promotion, and dissemination of knowledge and strengthening of intellectual, technical and institutional capacities of beneficiaries directly related to FONPLATA loan portfolio.
II. Studies and contracting of specialists for programming, developing and implementing FONPLATA investment loans and operations portfolio.
III. Promotion of transfer and adjustment of technologies and applied knowledge to and among the member countries;
IV. Technical events and/or seminars considered appropriate for the promotion of activities carried out by the beneficiary, FONPLATA and/or the subregion.